After being at my new job for a whopping three weeks, or six days, I feel like I can accurately share details about my transition back to work. In a word:
I am very happy to have more structure, as I have to be more organized and productive in order to make my work days go more smoothly. This means a few things –
- Getting as much ready as I can the night before. Kids stuff packed, my lunch packed in containers ready to go into my lunch box, items staged close to the door, dinner planned and prepped (if I can).
- Wake up BEFORE everyone else! This is key in getting ready quickly, so I can get out the door when I need to. Plus, I love the quiet house in the morning.
- Don’t get distracted. I have a tendency to linger and putter around in the morning when eating breakfast. On my word days I have to stop myself and stay focused on what I MUST DO instead of the “NICE to-do’s.”
- Prep snacks for the kids because they are hungry immediately upon arriving home. Instead of just throwing more crackers their way, I try to have cut up fruits and veggies ready for them.
- Keep dinner simple. We typically eat leftovers, crock-pot meals, or quick & easy to make meals. Tonight it was pasta with red onions and black olives. Yum!
Do I still have crazy moments in the two hours from daycare pick-up until my kid’s bedtime on my work days? Without a doubt! But together, my awesome teammate / husband and I figure it out and make it work. It is only two days out of the week, so it has not been too difficult of a transition thus far.
Work wise, I’ve had to adjust from my larger, corporate marketing mindset to that of a small business. I have to scale down some efforts to an appropriate level that matches our current resources with my time often being the limiting factor. I work with extremely nice people; it’s too small of a business for office politics; and I feel like I’m already making a difference. Of course there are some new ideas and changes that I’d like to propose, and I hope to do so in due time. Until then, I’ll clock in for my two days a week and accomplish whatever I can to keep plans moving in the right direction!
How do you make your workdays easier? If you transitioned from staying home to working, I’d love to hear how you make it work!