I attempted to make CUTE, decorated sugar cookies last week for our church’s holiday bake sale. I used store bought mix, store bought frosting, and store bought chocolate chips.
From the picture they look okay, but as I was making them, I couldn’t help but think, “Wow, these look like my kids decorated them.” As you can see from the picture, I became impatient, so I made some orange basketball cookies with the leftover orange icing and colored some vanilla frosting green to finish them up. I experienced a similar feeling of impatience and frustration when my sister and I made sugar cookies several years ago (pre-kids), and it took forever to decorate them with our remedial skills! I have used the paint-on frosting with my 3 year old and have had more success.
For a post on REALLY LOVELY homemade sugar cookies, check out these Nutcracker Cookies Nikki made. She suggests Sweetopia as a great how-to site. I’ll have to spend some time there to help channel my inner domestic cookie decorating goddess!
Do you have any tips on how to make baking cookies more fun and kid-friendly? I’d love to hear your ideas!
- Melting Snowman Cookie Idea (countryandvictoriantimes.com)
- Christmas Cookie Decorating Ideas (simplybittenkitchen.net)
- Decorated Christmas Sugar Cookies (pastaprincessandmore.wordpress.com)
- Holiday Baking with Great Value: Dressing Up Sugar Cookies (frugalupstate.com)
- Holiday Baking Recipes: Kid-Friendly Sugar Cookies on a Stick Recipe (miscfinds4u.com)