Recently I’ve been noticing that my kids are definitely getting older in many ways. There are a few glaring instances that come to mind, as itemized in my top ten list:
- They tell you that they don’t want to watch Thomas the Tank Engine anymore. Though we still have the trains and some books – those are still okay.
- Similar to #1, they deem themselves “too old” for Sesame Street.
- You have to ask for a hug goodbye before they get on the bus. (Fortunately, I’m always greeted with a hug when they come home.)
- At a friend’s party, when you ask if they want you to stay, they quickly say, “No, Mom!” This happened with my kindergartner already!!
- You overhear them say that grown-ups are boring! HEY!!
- They don’t need you to read to them all the time, as they can start to read some on their own! It’s so sweet when my daughter will read to her younger brother.
- One offers to help out the other (I LOVE this one – my daughter will sometimes help her younger brother get out of his car seat).
- They fight over who gets to unlock the door with mom’s keys.
- They get picky-er about what they want to wear. I expect this to only get worse!!
- Their room decor is a bit mixed. I made the owl below for his first birthday, and we still have animal decals on the wall above his toddler bed (which he tells me that he still likes).
What moments have made you realize that kids are growing up?